You want that promotion? You need to wow your employer.
You want to land that client? You need to impress them.
That’s why I asked Frances Cole Jones for an interview. I read her book “The Wow Factor,” and I knew that a podcast would be a good resource for people who want to get an edge up on their career.
I’m going to be honest. You can skip over some of the chapters. There is one on proper hygiene that most people don’t need to read, but this is easy to do since the chapters are so short. You can pick and choose what you need.
My favorite part of the book is the last third. She has so many good ideas that will help you improve your life. You won’t be disappointed.
You’ll love the section on self acceptance. Frances really breaks it down. We try to keep improving so much that we sometimes forget to enjoy where we are.
You have probably improved a lot in these past five years, but you don’t always take time to acknowledge it. This self acceptance can bring happiness into your working life, more than any promotion ever could.
6 Layers of Why
The book also talks about getting to the heart of a problem. The only way to do this is to ask “why” 6 times. No more, no less. It helps an individual understand what they are really trying to accomplish.
If you don’t know why you are doing what you are doing, then I guarantee your career will flounder. You must find the why behind your effort so you can steer your energy to accomplish your goals.
Plan for Courage
I’ve talked about the value of confidence at work. Without confidence, you will be too afraid to tackle the type of work that will wow your boss or clients.
The best way to plan for courage is to create lists. You probably create a list for projects all the time, but do you ever think about creating a “to do” list for things that make you happy? If you are working on a stressful project, make sure you add fifteen minutes to take a break and play a game on your phone or take a walk around the building. When you add fun stuff to your list, you will keep your stress level tolerable and your confidence high. You’ll find the courage to tackle tough projects.
Frances Cole Jones
Search This Blog…
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Visit My Website
Visit the WOW Store
The WOW Lab
WOW Interview iPhone App
Buy THE WOW FACTOR
Buy HOW TO WOW
- Advice Announcement Books Business Success Career College Communication Events Goal Setting Holidays How NOT to Wow How to Wow Interview Job Interview Job Loss Job Search Meetings News & Commentary Opinion Promotion Psychology Selling Small Business Speaking Technology The Wow Factor Unemployment Video Work Workplace
- Business Success
- Customer Service
- Did They Wow?
- Goal Setting
- How NOT to Wow
- How to Wow
- Job Interview
- Job Loss
- Job Search
- News & Commentary
- Random Thoughts
- Small Business
- Social Media
- The Wow Factor
- Virtual Work
- interview techniques on 5 (Good) Reasons To Decline A Job Offer
- Mid-WInter Tanning | on Update your bookmarks! NEW blog address…
- College Grads Make Sure You’re Covered: 3 Rules for Writing an Effective Cover Letter | The Blog of Frances Cole Jones on Job-Hunting Tips for New Graduates
- Fred E. Miller on My List of the Top 10 Essentials of Good Etiquette
- Frances Cole Jones on 14 Questions You Should Never Ask at a Job Interview
- Tweets that mention A WOW Special Event: Breakfast with Frances | The Blog of Frances Cole Jones -- Topsy.com on A WOW Special Event: Breakfast with Frances
- Celia Collymore on 14 Questions You Should Never Ask at a Job Interview
- Tweets that mention 14 Questions You Should Never Ask at a Job Interview | The Blog of Frances Cole Jones -- Topsy.com on 14 Questions You Should Never Ask at a Job Interview
- Donna on 14 Questions You Should Never Ask at a Job Interview
- Joan Schramm on Wow of the Week: Play it Up
Buy HOW TO WOW